Nelson Handwriting is a program designed to teach children how to write using a cursive handwriting style. Developed by Nelson Thornes, it is widely used in primary schools across the UK and other parts of the world. Nelson Handwriting provides a comprehensive approach to teaching handwriting that includes workbooks, online resources, and teacher support.
The Benefits of Nelson Handwriting
There are many benefits to using the Nelson’s Handwriting program. Here are some of the most notable ones:
1. Easy to Learn: Nelson’s Handwriting is designed to be easy to learn and accessible for children of all ages and abilities. The program uses a step-by-step approach that gradually builds on the student’s skills and knowledge.
2. Improves Writing Skills: Nelson’s Handwriting teaches students the correct way to form letters and write in cursive style. This helps improve their handwriting skills and makes their writing more legible.
3. Builds Confidence: By providing clear guidance and support, Nelson’s Handwriting helps children build confidence in their writing abilities. This can help improve their overall academic performance and set them up for success.
4. Comprehensive Program: Nelson Handwriting provides a comprehensive program that includes workbooks, online resources, and teacher support. This ensures that students have everything they need to succeed.
The Nelson Handwriting Program
The Nelson Handwriting program is divided into several stages, each designed to build on the previous one. Here is a brief overview of each stage:
1. Foundation Stage: In the Foundation Stage, students learn the basic strokes and shapes of letters. They practice forming letters using correct handwriting posture and grip.
2. Early Years Stage: In the Early Years Stage, students continue to develop their handwriting skills. They learn to form cursive letters and begin to use them in words and sentences.
3. Key Stage 1: In Key Stage 1, students learn to join letters together to form words and phrases. They also learn to write in different styles and use punctuation correctly.
4. Key Stage 2: In Key Stage 2, students continue to develop their handwriting skills. They learn to write in different styles, including calligraphy, and use handwriting to express their ideas and feelings.
How to Teach Nelson Handwriting
If you are a teacher or parent looking to teach Nelson Handwriting, there are several tips and strategies that can help:
1. Practice: Practice is key to mastering Nelson Handwriting. Encourage students to practice regularly, using the workbooks and online resources provided.
2. Demonstrate: Demonstrate correct letter formation and posture, and encourage students to model your behavior.
3. Use Positive Reinforcement: Encourage and praise students for their efforts and progress.
4. Provide Support: Provide additional support and guidance for students who are struggling with handwriting.
Nelson Handwriting is an effective program for teaching children how to write in cursive handwriting style. It provides a comprehensive approach that is easy to learn and accessible for children of all ages and abilities. By using Nelson Handwriting, students can improve their writing skills, build confidence, and set themselves up for success in the future.